Well Farm Heights

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Well Farm Heights

The Unofficial Residents Well Farm Heights Forum

5 posters

Replacing kitchen strip light

Little_1
    I need to get out..

Female
    Number of posts : 133
    Job/hobbies : Teacher
    Registration date : 2008-01-09

Replacing kitchen strip light Empty Replacing kitchen strip light

Post  Little_1 Sun 22 Mar 2009, 1:39 pm

I am thinking of changing the kitchen strip light to something a but more modern over the easter hols. I was wondering if anyone had doen this already and if so what is the state of the ceiling under the light- has it been painted underneath or did they paint around the light after it was put up. If so do you know what paint was used for the ceiling- briliant white or just white? I dont want a different white that what is there already-dont want to have to paint the whole of the ceiling again!!!

Thanks
    Dan
    Dan
    Forum Wasp

Male
    Number of posts : 58

Replacing kitchen strip light Empty Re: Replacing kitchen strip light

Post  Dan Sun 22 Mar 2009, 11:57 pm

Hi Little1,

I seem to remember that they painted around my light.... yours may be different. I had to sand down some paint blobs that had formed underneath the light.... only a quick job. For the paint itself it is slightly trickier. It is a matt pure brilliant white (i believe), but it might help speaking to Gilbert to find out exactly which brand they used..... that said even if you use the same stuff it still may stick out to the informed eye. All the same its well worth doing!

Regards

Dan
    Joe
    Joe
    Forum God

Male
    Number of posts : 773
    Job/hobbies : MET
    Registration date : 2007-12-12

Post  Joe Mon 23 Mar 2009, 12:09 am

Hi little_1,

I changed my light a few weeks ago. They had kindly left huge drill marks all in my ceiling, which I had to go along and fill. Not just the two required putting the light up, but around 7 of them. They had painted underneath, but after I had filled the holes I had to re-paint anyway. The wiring was ok, not the best job in the world though.

As for the colour, I'm not sure as I re-painted the whole ceiling.

Hope this helps.

Joe
    Little_1
    I need to get out..

Female

Post  Little_1 Mon 23 Mar 2009, 12:22 pm

Thanks for the replies- I am hoping to do this in a couple of weeks when its end of term and 2 weeks off. As well as do my bathroom and have the horrid floor re done in kitchen and bathroom. Thanks for the hints and tips.
    Clairebear
    I need to get out..

Female
    Number of posts : 189
    Job/hobbies : HR - Ann Summers
    Registration date : 2008-01-16

Post  Clairebear Mon 23 Mar 2009, 12:38 pm

Hiya

This was one of the first things I did when I got here as it is soooo ugly!!

It was really easy to do but they had painted round the light but again, I repainted the whole ceiling. The only problem with mine is it is really close to the cupboards as opposed to the middle of the kitchen which is a bit sill... but hey - what can we expect??!!! Ha ha

Claire

PS - Re-done my floor in bathroom and kitchen which is a million times better - you wont regret doing it.
    Little_1
    I need to get out..

Female

Post  Little_1 Mon 23 Mar 2009, 1:51 pm

re: the floor did you put new lino on the top of the original or take up the old stuff first? looking at vinyl flooring on b and q web site- bathroom and kitchen should be about £170 ish. a friend from work said her husband is a trained carpet/vinyl fitter so will ask him for a quote.
    Dan
    Dan
    Forum Wasp

Male

Post  Dan Mon 23 Mar 2009, 3:05 pm

Like Claire, I did mine recently - laid it straight over the original stuff.... didnt event have to stick it down.

In the kitchen remove the plinth from under the cupboards (should just click off) and then lift off the carpet rail (only stuck down with double sided tape). The rest of the vinyl went under the plinth. It cost me £70 from B&Q

Bathroom is a little more tricky as you have the objects to cut around.... I did mine in a kind of bathroom carpet (nicer than it sounds) £20 ... again placed over the original... pulling up the carpet rail and tucking the rest under the plinth.

As I did mine myself I dont have a clue how much it would be to get a professional in to do it ... but I wouldnt pay any more than £50 max
    brikim
    Forum Member

Male
    Number of posts : 41
    Job/hobbies : Kim Met
    Registration date : 2008-06-11

Post  brikim Tue 24 Mar 2009, 11:31 am

Hi,
    I also did the light in my kitchen they had painted around it and once removed there was a small round hole in the middle which was easy to fill. I asked Gilbert the paint used on the ceiling and he was spot on. Also did my bathroom floor which was put on top of the crap they had down with no problems. Kim
    Clairebear
    I need to get out..

Female
    Number of posts : 189
    Job/hobbies : HR - Ann Summers
    Registration date : 2008-01-16

Post  Clairebear Wed 25 Mar 2009, 12:43 pm

£170 is quite a lot - I got mine in Carpet Right for about £50-60 each. Again I did it myself (well... a nice man did it for me!! Ha ha) ut goes down really easily

Cx
    Dan
    Dan
    Forum Wasp

Male

Post  Dan Wed 25 Mar 2009, 12:50 pm

Little_1 wrote:re: the floor did you put new lino on the top of the original or take up the old stuff first? looking at vinyl flooring on b and q web site- bathroom and kitchen should be about £170 ish. a friend from work said her husband is a trained carpet/vinyl fitter so will ask him for a quote.

I agree with Claire .... you could probably do the kitchen, lounge & bathroom at that price.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 5:57 am